Website University of Minnesota College of Design
The College of Design, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities seeks to fill a Lecturer or Teaching Specialist position to teach UX (user experience) and UX-related courses at the undergraduate level. We seek highly qualified individuals with expertise in varied aspects of UX as it relates to design.
- 100%-time, 9-month, continuous, academic professional (P&A) appointment beginning August 28, 2023
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision
- Competitive retirement options
- Professional development allowance
For a full list of benefits, please visit https://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits
- Teach 6 undergraduate courses related to UX and specifically courses in the UX Minor
- Supervise student teaching assistants
- Mentor undergraduate students
- Attend and contribute to class critiques and program events
- Contribute to the ongoing development of curriculum
- Participate in program, department, and collegiate meetings and committees
- Contribute to and support the mission of the land grant institution
- For Lecturer: Graduate degree in user experience design, graphic design, industrial design, computer science or a related field and previous postsecondary teaching experience.
- For Teaching Specialist: Undergraduate degree in user experience design, graphic design, industrial design, computer science or a related field.
- The ability to teach courses from the following set of courses: Des 3131: User Experience, Des 3132: Service Design Studio, GDes 2342: Web Design, GDes 5341: Interaction Design, GDes 5342: Advanced Web Design as demonstrated through a professional portfolio.
- Evidence of strong collaborative and interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of strong presentation skills
- Professional experience working in the UX field or related design background
- Proficiency in industry prototyping tools including HTML, CSS, Git and GitHub, Figma, Adobe XD. responsive web design, and information architecture
- Evidence of visual and interaction design including typography, branding, UI patterns, heuristics, and accessibility.
- Evidence of effective teaching
- Technologically innovative approach to teaching
- Experience in program and/or curricular development
- Experience working collaboratively with academic departments and/or in the community
- Evidence of diversity and inclusion in teaching and/or scholarship or creative production
- Experience in teaching smaller studios and larger lectures.
About the Department
Minnesota is recognized as a progressive state and the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, as one of the major design centers in the United States. Well known for its high quality of life, the Twin Cities metropolitan area offers world-caliber museums and theaters, an exceptional parks system, outstanding historical landmarks, excellent educational opportunities, and access to a highly-regarded health care system. The Twin Cities are also home to 17 Fortune 500 companies, thriving local businesses, and a strong non-profit sector.
The College of Design is situated within the Twin Cities campus of the University of Minnesota, which hosts an unusually broad range of disciplines, faculty, and students. The College of Design includes programs in apparel design, architecture, graphic design, human factors and ergonomics, interior design, landscape architecture, product design, and retail merchandising. The College offers rich opportunities for interdisciplinary research and public engagement through research and engagement centers, including Wearable Product Design, Digital Design, the Goldstein Museum of Design, Metropolitan Design, and Sustainable Building Research.
To apply for this job please visit jobsearch.cla.umn.edu.