The Usability Body of Knowledge (BoK) project is dedicated to creating a living reference that represents the collective knowledge of the usability profession and provides an authoritative source of reference and define the scope of the profession.
(UPA 2005 Poster: Duane Degler explains the
project to Thomas Callaghan. Photo:Chauncey Wilson)
The BOK will:
- Define the knowledge underlying the usability profession.
- Describe and provide pointers to methods, knowledge, and skills that are important for usability professionals.
- Promote the advancement, understanding, and recognition of the usability profession among those who interact with the usability community.
- Facilitate professional development for usability practitioners at any stage in their careers, as well as people who come to usability from other backgrounds/disciplines.
- Provide the basis for future curriculum development.
- Provide support for professional development and any future certification schemes.
- Promote integration and connections with related disciplines.
It will be used by practitioners, colleages in related fields, students, educators, researchers managers and even policymakers.