User experience is a critical discipline at JSTOR, one of the world’s leading academic databases. Useful, usable, and desirable experiences are critical to encourage adoption, usage, and engagement among our six million monthly users in 170 countries. As a part of ITHAKA, The Director of User Experience and Design will drive user experience and design excellence with broad impact across the world of higher education.
Reporting to and in collaboration with the Creative Director, ITHAKA, you are responsible for the JSTOR brand, leading development of the overall look, feel, form, and function across our product(s) and all audience touch points. You are able to weave design into the DNA of our lean/agile processes. You understand which UX/Design principles to employ for the production of projects that delight users and reach the target audience. You have enough programming prowess to know what’s feasible across all interactive platforms and how to lead a team of user experience and design staff to ensure high-quality execution.
We don’t like silos, and we bet that you don’t either. That’s why your team will be part of a cross-functional product development team, where UX will be responsible for defining and implementing user experiences. Collaboration from inception makes for a better product, and your team will be connected with business and development from the start. Accordingly, this position and your team is based in Ann Arbor, which is also home to our team of over 90 professionals working in product management, engineering, development operations and user services.
Our organization offers you a leadership opportunity few other companies can match, which will include:
- Building the next generation of a valued and respected product
- Uniting a team and developing best-in-class practices fueled by user research
- Engaging in a work environment that is mission-oriented and constantly working to embrace technology to improve higher education
- Working with the resources required to achieve success. You will report directly to the Creative Director, but also work closely with the VP of Product who is also based in Ann Arbor
- Working effectively in a matrixed environment is critical.
Your days might include the following:
- Implementing UX changes based on the work of the User research team;
- Collaborating with designers to develop a visual vocabulary for content types with different access rights;
- Partnering with the analytics team to frame the correct questions to analyze and improve JSTOR users’ workflow on the platform;
- Contributing to an effort to redesign the onboarding experience for individual versus institutional users.
- Deliverables include user experience design for full web products, microsites, online advertising, marketing and social media initiatives, video, mobile apps, events and conferences.