Senior Design Researcher leads and executes research activities that drive experience design throughout the product development life cycle for highly strategic web, mobile, social and cross-channel experiences. This Senior Design Researcher ensures timely coordination, execution, and reporting for relevant design research methodologies including, but not limited to contextual inquires, usability and eye-tracking studies, accessibly audits, ethnography and emerging technology evaluations.
- Minimum of 6-10 years experience applying usability sciences to interactive design, industrial design, prototyping and product development for preferably high-volume B2C or CPG
- Graduate degree in Human Factors, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Information design or related field (or equivalent professional experience)
- Minimum of 6-10 years experience conducting a variety of design research methodologies in a corporate or consulting environment.
- Experience presenting findings and recommendations to all levels of stakeholders, including executive leadership.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment where all team members are invited to provide input into major decisions.
- Patience during long-term initiatives with the flexibility to do just-in-time testing
- Lead and execute design research efforts throughout the product lifecycle
- Independently lead, plan and execute design research methodology across the CX portfolio including current, future planned and strategic projects
- Drive decisions on the optimal research approach and timelines that best leverage design research methodology with the Customer Experience team and key stakeholders to deliver greatness throughout the digital ecosystem
- Execute all phases of usability testing, including development of participant screeners, consent forms, test plans, moderating lab sessions and managing
- Manage test recruiting, partnering with vendors to recruit external test candidates and navigating the business to recruit internal users when necessary
- Provide direction and oversight to ensure design research objectives are being met from the point of project initiation through research execution and findings delivery
- Execute external design research studies with vendors as needed
- Manage Kohl's internal usability lab, including hardware and software assets used for testing
- Lead experience analysis, synthesis and reporting
- Lead the Customer Experience team and business stakeholders through analysis, synthesis and reporting
- Develop post-testing analysis and top-line reports; make recommendations to both project teams and executive leadership based on findings
- Serve as the senior subject matter expert on the customer experience, usability best practices, user-centered design and our customers.
- Establish innovative design research frameworks, process and methodologies
- Identify strategic opportunities for design research process improvements to inspire innovation, guide decision making, challenge existing paradigms an drive experience evolution
- Create effective research processes and identify collaboration points while developing relevant partnerships, frameworks, tools and templates to support design research maturity
- Assist in creation, governance, and maintenance of interaction, usability and accessibility standards.
- Mentor mid-level researchers in design research process & methodologies