EBSCO Information Technologies is looking for a design leader. As the Principal Experience Designer, you will collaborate closely with other members of the UX Design team, as well as agile development teams and business stakeholders to bring innovative ideas from concept to code. You’ll be a key part of strategic initiatives and responsible for crafting best-in-class experiences and interfaces.
The Principal Experience Designer reports into the UX Design Lead. The ideal candidate will have a passion for exceptional UX/UI design and a portfolio to match. We’re looking for user-focused individual who can communicate ideas through sketches, design applications and code. You need to have a proven ability to deliver amazing designs and be open and articulate enough to teach others the craft.
Your mission as the Principal Experience Designer will be to drive design quality on each and every project, while simultaneously advancing design strategies and standards for EBSCO’s products and platforms.
- A strong portfolio of graphical or interactive designs, design systems, web sites and/or web applications that can be evaluated as part of the interview process
- 10+ years in interactive web interface design and graphic arts
- 5+ years executing in a senior level interface design position
- 5+ years experience and expert-level skills in graphic software (Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, Invision, Webflow, etc)
- 3+ years working with HTML and CSS
- 4-year college degree in Human Factors Engineering, Interface Design, Graphic Arts, or related field
- Working knowledge of accessibility standards
- Ability to work on multiple projects and be self-directed in daily tasks, and to work well in a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation
- Solid oral, written and listening communication skills
- Develop visual concepts (i.e. sketches, wireframes, user interface concepts, interactive prototypes and designs systems) to feed user research, long-range plans, capabilities and features that will be executed by agile development teams.Assist business stakeholders, and product management in planning design resources with a goal of providing consistent and reliable estimates for design tasks.
- Assist UX Product Managers and Owners with user interface and information architecture design, offering suggestions and ideas during the feature requirements definition phase.
- Participate in meetings with appropriate internal groups to gain understanding of business needs and technical capabilities.Work closely with the development teams in setting font, color, and other interface standards that will eventually be used in defining CSS. Ensure consistency and high quality of graphic design, layout, color, typography, and style.
- Champion a common design process, maintain UI design standards and centralized library of design elements (Design System).
- Encourage a common design process for original work (e.g. research, persona development, user-flows, sketching, wire-framing, final visuals) while stressing collaboration, iteration and speed.Continue to build and advance EBSCO’s design system. Incourage reuse of templates, past sketch/ideas and common control design across various projects.
- Keep current in user-centered design principles, web design best practices, accessibility, visual trends and emerging web technologies. Share with others what you learned.
- Goal is to stay on top of visual trends and emerging web technologies. Research new interactive solutions, graphics, color schemes, interface usability, and design ideas, sometimes in tandem with the Marketing group.Work closely with other leaders in creating concept presentations of new interface design or graphics ideas.
- Establish standard format for distribution of new design work, industry trends, product ideas and concepts.
- Continually think about ways to transform and enhance all of EBSCO's products and platform, taking steps to ensure a balance between standardization, branding, and strategy.Establish process for receiving sales feedback and user research insights and turning that knowledge into winning product or feature ideas.
- Encourage best practices and monitor processes/procedures for information architecture, UI design, graphic arts, HTML/CSS, etc.
- Collaborate with Enterprise and System Architects to establish working agreements and shared vision that merges design direction with front-end technology stack.
EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.