Stand apart. Think big. No, bigger than that! Make bold bets in the free-to-play mobile universe. SkyRocket Studios, an independent unit of Big Fish Games, has a track record of creating chart-topping titles like Fairway Solitaire, Fairway Solitaire Blast, Dungeon Boss and Cascade, with millions of players every day. SkyRocket unites a passion for games with decades of combined experience, the best data analytics in the industry, and the kind of work/life balance that makes the other folks cry at their desks. Take the plunge. Blast off!
Want to be a part of a fast-moving studio on the rise? Elevate your career with SkyRocket studios!
REQUIRED ABILITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS, AND XP
- Portfolio submission
- Bachelor’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
- 10+ years in user experience design
- 5+ years managing or leading design teams
- Master of the UX lifecycle with deep, direct experience in all skill areas and tools, including facilitation of workshops or other collaboration techniques to drive momentum and credibility within the organization
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organizationExperience managing teams working on in-production as well as live titles, having shipped at least 5 products
- Experience training, mentoring, managing other designers, and building highly functional teams
- Experience presenting to and influencing senior management, including the architecture of UX adoption strategies
- Master’s Degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
- Able to balance a wide range of concurrent responsibilities while being level headed and priority focused- adept at task management and tracking
- Passionate about and have a relentless desire for user-centered innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations
- Self-motivated, empathetic, and self-aware, with a giant side helping of humor and fun
The Director of User Experience Design is a great design team leader, manager, syste-ms-level design thinker, and user-centered design thought leader who will provide leadership and direction for a team of UX designers. The leader must be comfortable mentoring, managing, and educating all levels of staff on UX design and user research innovation. He/She defines and drives the future of UX design at SkyRocket Studio, sets UX strategy, envisions complex UX ecosystems, and inspires teams to push the boundaries of what is possible for player experiences. They take a human-centered approach to management through understanding the needs of internal stakeholders, bringing people and resources together, adding tools and inputs, defining user-centered design goals, and ensuring that the time as well as resources are available to achieve those goals. The successful candidate needs to possess a holistic understanding of the UX design process as well as all business aspects of games along with the courage to pursue forward-thinking player experiences.
- Manage 3+ direct reports consisting of senior contributors, leads, & managers including performance tracking, feedback, goal setting (>50% of person hours devoted to managerial responsibilities)
- Lead the overall user experience design of large projects or set of projects and provide the necessary UX vision and guidance with thorough documentation & frequent feedback to UX Designers
- Understand how to effectively advocate for UX design initiatives and integrate user research into the product development process
- Responsible for all UX staffing in the studio including short and long term needs and creating plans for future UX growth with ownership of the department’s UX budget: nurture a team that excels in all aspects of UX design including research, concept development, visual design and prototyping
- Build respect and credibility with stakeholders, direct reports, the global UX organization, other management, and executives across the company
- Oversees the delivery of tasks from UX design team members & is accountable for the quality of final handoff & meeting deadlines
- Create guidelines and budgets for UX asset creation while taking responsibility for product performance and meeting UX design quality requirements
- Attends/participates/leads in higher level meetings with other team leads/managers to facilitate higher level project scheduling & create assignments & task distribution & tracking
- Attends/participates/leads significant project review meetings with executives including review of business metrics
- Interpret and communicate high level business and process directives to entire team with direction for managers on cascading throughout team
- Collaboratively set the experience strategy for products by working with internal and external partners to execute tasks involving the user experience
- Mentor leads, managers and senior managers with a focus facilitating ongoing training & development of managerial reports along with resource reorg as well as team growth as needed: use humor, lateral thinking, and positive energy to maintain personal and team momentum.
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com! Be the next Big Fish in the Pond!
This role is not eligible for any company sponsored immigration visas.
As part of your application for this role, please be sure to provide a link your UX Design portfolio, demonstrating your work on at least 5 shipped products.