We're Softway. We are an independent digital agency with offices in Houston, TX and Bengaluru, India. We do work we're proud of. Work that makes an impact on our clients' business and, hopefully, the world. We do it by bringing bright people together from all walks of life and every imaginable background, letting them loose on a challenge, and giving them the freedom to explore the possibilities.
WHO WE WANT:
We’re looking for a UX Generalist with some experience across a wide array of UCD activities and deliverables with proven strong interaction design skills to join our Houston team. The following items should sound like you:
Enigmatologist (Puzzle master): You love untangling raw data and seemingly disconnected processes to solve undefined problems into clear actionable interface strategies. Your conclusions are logical and anticipate obstacles while considering the different yet relevant approaches.
An empathetic teacher: You think about the end-user, client and internal teams of your designs, emails and strategies when crafting how to share your ideas. You focus on how you can make understanding your message simpler, better, and more enjoyable—no matter the medium, size or scope of the project.
You take action: You don't wait for others to tell you what to do—you identify ongoing and future needs of internal and external client and project needs. You strive to remedy the root causes before it develops into a problem.
A well-calloused ego: Great work works. But to get to great work, you have to take a few punches in the creative gut once and a while. The bar is high here and we all help each other raise it every day.
You are a sturdy bridge: You know that you’re working with domain experts so you are giddy at the opportunity to learn from them to ensure that the decisions that anyone in the group is making are feasible and ideal.
Versatile: You are going to research, design and test lots of different things for very different clients at Softway. You should get just as fired up about creating a biometric time tracking mobile app as you do designing a corporate intranet. We do it all.
You’re an effective communicator: You recognize the importance of persuasive communication and take a proactive approach to communicating internationally by utilizing the most effective medium based on the message. Specifically, in person, you listen attentively and complement your message with empathetic body language and tone.
WHO WE DON’T WANT:
We want to save your time and our time, so here are a few things we don’t want in a UX Generalist. If any of these things sound like you at all, please do not apply. This is not the place for you.
- You need all of your questions answered before you can start working. We are asked to solve very difficult problems with incomplete information. (We pride ourselves on our ability to flourish in the unknown and be a guide to our customers.)
- You are looking to work on a specific sub-set of UX activities. We hire “T-shaped” people. For example, if you LOVE building wireframes and front-end UIs and wish you could just do that, you won’t be happy here. (We have fun no matter what we do and find joy in the process and the people around us).
- You are too good to work on an executive PowerPoint presentation or something not-so-creative. (We do a wide range of projects and they all can’t be super high level creative. We have fun no matter what we do and find joy in the process and the people around us).
- You are afraid of working directly with clients and presenting to them. (Our clients see us as partners and enjoy working face-to-face and at times work from their locations).
- You can’t handle change, multiple projects, a little chaos, sarcasm, or shade. (Things change here daily, no project is the same, and we love each other enough to throw as much shade as possible.)
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU:
As a UX Generalist at Softway, we expect you to:
- Be comfortable planning, participating, leading, analyzing and reporting on any User-Centered design activity.
- Be the voice of reason and compromise that finds a way to make things work for the client contact, users and the business goals.
- Live and breathe the brands and experiences we work with—feel their pain and joy.
- Push the boundaries of digital; our tech team can handle it.
- Leverage the thinking of a strategist and collaborate with the strategy team members.
- Form a working knowledge of the project’s technology to understand the challenges it presents to the end user and implementations.
- Experiment and iterate, a lot.
- Create any type of document you need to get your point across (i.e. process diagrams, research findings presentations, strategy documents, wireframes)
- Lead primary and secondary research projects and collaborate with research team members.
- Think beyond the project plan; a list of tasks is your guide but not your boundary.
- Be comfortable presenting work to clients.
- Be comfortable defending work from and for clients.
- Own the conference room; lots of presentations come with the gig.
- Listen, really listen, to your colleagues and your clients.
- Own your projects by answering as many questions as you ask.
- Become an advocate for all audiences; represent your clients internally and your team externally.
- Be a wizard with design tools (Creative Cloud).
- Knowledge of interaction design tools like Axure and InVision.
- Love typography and not afraid to use color.
- Bring your passions, no matter how peculiar, to the agency.
- Understand the technology platforms we use every day.
- Do stuff besides UCD. You are the UX Generalist, but we can always use an extra brain or set of hands here and there for non-UCD type things.
- Collaborate easily with Technical Architects, UX Strategists, Digital Strategists, Account Managers, Creative Directors, Art Directors, Writers, other Designers, Project Managers, Executives, and the Dev team.
- Work at client sites, following and growing their internal standards and guidelines.
- Buy-into the Softway values which includes you taking responsibility for the end product, no matter your role.
We will only consider applicants who include a resume and a link to a digital portfolio.
If we choose to begin the interview process with you, we may be giving you an interaction design assignment and we typically go through multiple rounds of interviews. (We have to get to know you and you have to get to know us—it has to be the right fit for everyone.)
WHAT YOU’LL WORK ON:
Like a good, healthy, slightly crazy agency, we work across channels and media for our clients, so you’ll design a bit of everything:
Digital - Fully integrated campaigns as well as standalone pieces like websites, emails, apps, display ads, intranets, etc.
User-Centered Design - Focusing on the end user to provide the best experience possible. Understanding of user’s task and environments using an iterative process to evaluate and share user goals and expectations.
Strategic planning - Strategy and UX are closely aligned at Softway; the digital strategists work with UX Generalists to define personas, interpret data, conduct research and outline a digital strategy in client appropriate mediums.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK AT SOFTWAY?
A special place. - Softway is an agency that’s truly a special place to call home. It’s hard to explain. Just visit a few times, and you’ll see.
An ego-less workplace. - While there are egos here, none are too big for the organization. We’re ambitious, not pretentious. We all have each other’s backs.
We are lovers of learning. - We push each other to do things differently, to learn a new skill, to share a success. We push you, but we won’t let you struggle.
We take work and play very seriously. - In a perfect world, the lines between the two are blurred. We like to keep it light around here.
You’ll get a competitive salary. Paid time off. Full benefits.