3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a UX Design Principal to lead the charge for priority programs within our Health Care Business Group at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of UX Design Principal will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and workflows in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Care Business Group. Responsible for overall leadership and coaching of internal and external clients through design direction, improvement initiatives, design-research, and operating plans for design creation. Independently manages and leads multiple major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within the assigned business or function.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, design, design management, graphic design, industrial design, product development or design research from an accredited university
- Minimum of ten (10) combined years of experience in user experience design and/or interaction design, creating solutions for desktop, web and mobile applications on a variety of platforms
- M.S. in Design, Design Strategy, Design Research, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with product commercialization that includes driving a product from conception through launch and assessing post-launch effectiveness.
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting)
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
- Proven record of using research to answer business strategy questions and needs.
- Experience in managing and directing of cross-functional and creative teams driving collaboration.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
UX Design Principal primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Consistently identifies, initiates, plans, and assumes leadership of programs of major importance to the organization's interests leading to and/or supporting innovative applications and extensions of new and existing designs, technologies, products and/or businesses.\
- Creates design basis for commercial positions through activities in one or more of the following areas: (a) generating and broadening a design or technical base; (b) expanding the fundamental understanding of the design or technical base; (c) applying new technology in innovative product / process concepts and demonstrating feasibility; (d) pioneering new design concepts, technologies and/or product areas to create new products or open new business areas; (e) providing innovative solutions to articulated customer problems and opportunities; and (f) providing significant support on products to clients and/or customers to expand opportunities and reduce risks.
- Provide leadership and direct management of several direct reports as part of the cross-discipline design team.
- Delivers design content as an individual contributor in support of project goals.
- May stimulate or develop major innovations from a customer's viewpoint.
- May interact with experts outside 3M, occasional serving in speaking or leadership roles.
- May act as a key liaison between technical, design, and marketing groups with customers.
- Participates in technical or design strategic planning at a business level.
- May review and/or generate intellectual property positions at the divisional level, including proprietary advances, ROIs, patents, trade secrets, etc. May investigate competitive intellectual property to strengthen 3M's IP position for one or more technologies within the division.
- May contribute to the long term strategic business planning process.
- Provides design direction, guidance, training, instruction and/or mentoring and coaching to others in the 3M
- Design as well as other personnel on design related issues and competencies.
- Maintains a high level of design-related knowledge, including current trends, design theories, methods, processes and/or issues.
- Continues professional development by handling project and process assignments that require developing more detailed understanding of design processes, industry best practices, and related information.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 40%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.