DonorsChoose.org is an online charity that makes it easy for anyone to help students in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America post classroom project requests on our site, and you can give any amount to the project that most inspires you.
Teachers at 75% of all the public schools in America have created classroom project requests on our site, and 2.5 million “citizen philanthropists” have channeled books, field trips, technology, and other resources to students from low-income communities. In all, we’ve generated $525 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
Fast Company ranked us #9 on its list of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World and made us the first non-profit ever featured on the issue’s cover. GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work.
More about us
- We’re located in the Garment District of Manhattan.
- We’re a non-profit, but our culture is much more like a start-up.
- We’re passionate about addressing educational inequity and you should be, too.
This position might be for you if you are:
- Experienced, with 3+ years working on a web product, extra credit for experience running usability testing and user research
- Empathetic, patient, and a good listener
- An excellent communicator, verbally and in writing
- Objective and open-minded
- Independent and have excellent self-management skills
- Observant, curious, and willing to go wherever the exploration leads (you don’t discard observations/data points that don’t fit the original focus or hypothesis)
- Excited to solve hard problems and learn new things
- Passionate about user research and staying up-to-date with the latest techniques/approaches
*About the role*
User-focus is a core value at DonorsChoose.org. As our UX Researcher, you’d be the bridge between the user and our product team—working with our designers, engineers, and product manager to improve our site’s features and develop new ones. This role will manage all phases of UX research: planning, recruiting, executing, analyzing, and sharing results, with the bulk of the time spent interviewing and moderating usability sessions. We’re a small but mighty team and you’d play a huge part in our success.
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary with merit-based bonus potential, comprehensive benefits with employer paid premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage, matching 401K, professional development budget, casual workplace, and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays.
In your cover letter be sure to tell us why you're interested in user research. If you don't have any UX research experience, tell us why your background makes you a good candidate.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.