The Director of Digital Accessibility will be responsible for providing visionary leadership, building the team and ensuring successful delivery of our digital accessibility services. This person will manage all aspects of a profitable digital services business including developing new offers, supervising a consulting team, pricing, client satisfaction and work closely with our Business Development Director and Marketing staff. The Director will also represent Perkins as a thought leader in customer education and in the evolution of national standards for web accessibility.
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree required. Master’s Degree is preferred. Related work experience can be substituted for a portion of the educational requirements. Minimum 10 years working experience in consulting, Technology Solutions or Accessibility Compliance.
- Proven understanding of W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, ADA, Section 508 and evolving accessibility standards.
- Experience developing accessible digital products and web content.
- Proven knowledge of accepted accessibility patterns and best practices.
- Proven ability to offer technical solutions, training and guidance to web developers, designers, and software engineers.
- Experience conducting manual accessibility testing including the use of screen reader technology (e.g. JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver).
- Experience with automated accessibility testing tools and how to interpret/prioritize results.
- Ability to create accessible electronic documents (MS Office, PDF).
- Experience with mobile app development and mobile accessibility testing (preferred).
- Experience developing and/or supporting accessible media players (e.g. HTML 5 media player)
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects and manage user requests.
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting as well as individually.
- Ability to work respectively and sensitively with diverse populations.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment.
Perkins Solutions under Perkins School for the Blind is growing its digital accessibility consulting practice to tackle the national problem of websites, digital documents and mobile interfaces that are inaccessible for people who are blind or visually impaired. We seek a creative and experienced consulting services professional to lead and grow our team, and to design and deliver training and consulting services that will help businesses, universities and government agencies to make all of their digital properties more accessible.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including, health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, wellness benefits, retirement, life insurance, robust vacation, personal and sick time.