At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $33 billion in sales, our 93,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Senior Interaction Designer for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business and improve the customer experience? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the design journey at an innovation company like 3M, driven by curiosity.
The person hired for the position of Senior Interaction Designer will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and workflows in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Oral Care Solutions (OCSD) Division. Responsible for design direction, improvement initiatives, design-research, and operating plans for design creation. Independently contributes to multiple major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within the assigned business or function.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, user experience design, digital media design, graphic design, visual design, communication design or industrial design
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of working experience in user experience design or interaction design with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and/or applications on a variety of platforms
- M.S. in Design Strategy, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 7 years of experience as an interaction designer
- Ability to visualize data and complex concepts
- Experience designing complex and/or task-based applications
- Experience designing native applications for iOS and Android
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting)
- Ability to create interactive design prototypes in Axure, Sketch, Adobe XD, HTML/JS/CSS, or other tools
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 15%
Relocation: Is authorized
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
Diverse & Inclusive 3M
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative and leadership are valued. Where you’ll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Senior Interaction Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plans and supports UX design workshops with stakeholders, builds design artifacts necessary to conduct concept testing/usability testing and produces reports.
- Accountable for defining key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, interactive prototypes, simulations, etc.
- Translate customer insights into tangible design deliverables. Thinks beyond boundaries to create design direction.
- Develops and maintains user interaction design guidelines as part of the 3M larger UX design system initiative.
- Develops and/or uses appropriate UX design and evaluation processes and/or efficiency and cost measurements to ensure the any design solution meets or exceeds defined needs and strategies.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.