We are looking for “information architects" or UX strategists who do early, low fidelity/ conceptual work. Research with users informing their designs experience.
This role is part of the Innovation team and is a top-level contributor focused on innovation/user experience design. The role requires an expertise in user experience methodologies and best practices and will be responsible for determining the “desirability” of opportunities by conceptualizing, visualizing, and designing new products, services, experiences, and even businesses. Collaborates with business leaders, project teams, IT leaders, etc. Coordinates internal and external resources to meet business and user objectives. Delivers on the implementation of user experience strategy and execution, goals and objectives.
They’ll lead the team through the design process, translating key user insights and team brainstorms into actual “things” that could be created to meet those needs. They’ll create low fidelity conceptual representations (sketched or produced) of those ideas. They’ll partner with researchers to help us take that idea into testing with real users, iterating to medium to higher fidelity concepts as more is learned…with many launching into market. May specialize in one or multiple design roles such as interaction design, information architecture, content, user experience strategy or other specialization as the function grows.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the design and rapid prototyping of ideas and solutions directly with consumers and customers.
- Helps lead the user driven innovation process (aka “design thinking”), with cross functional team members.
- Core member of the pod, where collaboration with product managers, designers, researchers, technologists, and business leads to the best outcome.
- Clearly define the right problems to solve (“the what”) and ensure we have the right end to end solutions to solve them (“the how”).
Schooled in “design thinking” or the user centered design process, especially creation of low to medium fidelity prototypes, and having applied it extensively throughout your career and hobbies. In depth knowledge of qualitative user research methodologies, especially ethnography and contextual inquiry.
Relevant user interface design experience with consumer applications in one of the following areas: insurance, financial services, startups and technology companies. Exemplary ability to build positive, collaborative relationships across teams/groups/functions. A process mindset, with ability to lead team through the design process to deliver on time and on quality. Ability to understand that failure is part of innovation process, with the ability to prove that we’ve failed, learn and move on.
Typical Skills & Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate studies in business administration, marketing, human-computer interaction, psychology, graphic design, communications or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
Experience: Typically 8-10 years experience within the field of user experience design. In-depth knowledge of the insurance/financial services industry and its products and services preferred.
Knowledge: Broad knowledge of company products/service, and marketing strategies preferred. Expert knowledge in user experience design best practices.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent communications skills (written and verbal). Clear user experience design focus; familiarity with emerging technologies and the ability to integrate new technologies to user experience designs. Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively as part of a team. Strong project management skills; ability to perform well on multiple concurrent projects while working under tight timelines. Strong research, analytical, and troubleshooting skills.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal Office Environment. Extended work hours may be necessary during work periods of heavier volume of work. Travel required as necessary.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: MKT/WUE
JOB SUMMARY: Top level contributor with expertise in user experience methodologies and best practices. Responsible for the user experience design of the company's digital assets and all other associated experiences. Collaborates with business leaders, project teams, IT leaders, etc. Coordinates internal and external resources to meet business and user objectives. Delivers on the implementation of user experience strategy, goals and objectives. This job classification is intended to be used whenever a top level individual contributor role is needed. May specialize in one or multiple design roles such as interaction design, visual design, user research, creative technology, content, user experience strategy or other specialization as the function grows. Placement at this level is based on both the need for this level of experience and skill set of job applications.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Director/AVP/VP. May have direct reports based on organizational structure. May be responsible for virtual/project teams.
CORE JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides top level consultation in user experience design to support the company's overall product goals and objectives. Delivers on the implementation of user experience project plans.
2. Viewed as an expert in user experience design to support superior customer experiences.
3. Identifies opportunities for leveraging user experience design methodologies in pursuit of other key objectives including business goals and strategies.
4. Provides expert consultation in identifying and executing strategic user experience design partnerships.
5. Supports the evaluation of success in meeting user experience goals of effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction.
6. May oversee a variety of collaborative relationships with business leaders, project leaders, vendors, etc. Provides consultation on service evaluations regarding a variety of outside consulting service vendors.
7. Acts as a source of user experience design expertise for direction, mentoring, and guidance for less experienced staff. Sought as a resource for resolution of the most complex user experience design problems.
8. Acts as a source of expertise in one or more user experience design functions: interaction design, visual design, creative technology, user research, content, user experience strategy, etc..
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.