At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a UX Design Principal to lead the charge for priority programs within the Health Information System Division of our Health Care Business Group at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
The person hired for the position of UX Design Principal will work closely with the Creative Director of Health Care Business Group to establish a design strategy and a global design network to deliver an appropriate design practice for the Health Information System Division. In this leadership role, the UX Design Principal will be responsible for overall leadership, improvement initiatives, design-research, and operating plans for design creation. Independently manages and leads multiple major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
UX Design Principal primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Consistently identifies, initiates, plans, and assumes leadership of programs of major importance to the organization's interests leading to and/or supporting innovative applications and extensions of new and existing designs, technologies, products and/or businesses.
- Creates design basis for commercial positions through activities in one or more of the following areas: (a) generating and broadening a design or technical base; (b) expanding the fundamental understanding of the design or technical base; (c) applying new technology in innovative product / process concepts and demonstrating feasibility; (d) pioneering new design concepts, technologies and/or product areas to create new products or open new business areas; (e) providing innovative solutions to articulated customer problems and opportunities; and (f) providing significant support on products to clients and/or customers to expand opportunities and reduce risks.
- Provide leadership and direct management of several direct reports as part of the cross-discipline design team.
- Delivers design content as an individual contributor in support of project goals.
- Partners with key leadership and stakeholders to strategize on mid- and long-term business relevant design programs.
- May interact with experts outside 3M, occasional serving in speaking or leadership roles.
- May act as a key liaison between technical, design, and marketing groups with customers.
- May review and/or generate intellectual property positions at the divisional level, including proprietary advances, ROIs, patents, trade secrets, etc. May investigate competitive intellectual property to strengthen 3M's IP position for one or more technologies within the division.
- Provides design direction, guidance, training, instruction and/or mentoring and coaching to others in the 3M Design as well as other personnel on design related issues and competencies.
- Actively participates in the hiring process.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, design, design management, graphic design, industrial design, product development or design research
- Minimum of ten (10) combined years of experience of building teams, establishing design strategy, and/or setting standards for product quality and design process
- M.S. in Design, Design Strategy, Design Research, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience with product commercialization that includes driving a product from conception through launch and assessing post-launch effectiveness.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experience with creating complex web-based applications.
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting).
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in distributed teams.
- Experience in managing and directing of cross-functional and creative teams driving collaboration.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 40%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.