Boston, MA, USA
Want to work on a product at the forefront of collaborative robotics? Love geeking out on design, simplifying the complex, pushing pixels into exactly the right place, dreaming up new physical/digital interactions, and playing with robots? Awesome, then you might be the Senior Experience Designer we’re looking for.
Universal Robots is on a mission to empower our customers by making the benefits of advanced robotic automation accessible to businesses of all sizes. We are committed to be the global authority on easily programmable, safe, and flexible industrial robots. And we’re assembling a team of extraordinarily talented people to take on the challenge.
Join a team of brilliant R&D colleagues
Our tight-knit team of designers and engineers is obsessed with improving the experience our users have while installing, programming, and working alongside robots. We feed off user insights to invent, prototype, test, and launch software experiences that are delightful to use, easy to understand, and accessible to everyone, regardless of age, location, and technical savviness. You will become part of a global organisation with more than 150 R&D colleagues with an enormous drive and passion for cobots.
An experienced designer who crafts beautiful systematic designs through dedication and collaboration
You come with 5-8 years of professional experience designing and launching end-to-end software experiences on multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Mobile Web, Desktop, Embedded, etc). And with an undergraduate or master’s degree in User Experience, Interaction Design, Visual UI Design, or related field. Even more importantly, we expect you to come with a positive attitude, open mind, and a desire to collaborate and learn. When evaluating your experience and competencies we will be focusing on:
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing your strengths in idea generation, interaction and visual design craft and the rationale behind your design decisions;
- Mastery of modern design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, AdobeCC, InVision, Framer, Principle, Origami, Invision Studio, etc;
- Eloquent English verbal/written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and senior stakeholders;
- Strong ability to think technically and collaborate seamlessly with Technologists as it pertains to understanding the benefits, possibilities, and constraints of common coding languages and platforms;
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines;
- Strong conceptual thinking that balances user needs, business goals, and feasibility;
- Bonus points if you …have experience in the robotics industry or working with agile methods and with design thinking or Design Sprints. Additional bonus points if you come with experience in implementing reactive interfaces using HTML and CSS or have research experience in user testing and user insight frameworks.
As a Senior Experience Designer in our Boston R&D Department, you will be responsible for continuously improving and innovating our software user interfaces across Universal Robots products. We are looking for a seasoned designer who thrives in ambiguity, has a strong human-centered design process, has the desire to learn and collaborate cross-functionally, and designs systematic solutions that are equally thoughtful, elegant, and delightful. The primary responsibilities in the role will be to:
- Collaborate on all stages of the software experience design process (user research, ideation, concept development, validation, wireframing, prototyping, final visual design, and handoff to implementation);
- Create journey maps, behavioral archetypes, user flows, and system diagrams to process and communicate ideas that impact the end-to-end user experience;
- Craft beautiful systematic designs that connect the dots between user needs, data, business goals, and business strategy;
- Specify detailed systems of user interfaces, including interaction and visual design, micro interactions and motion design for software engineers to implement;
- Plan and conduct participatory design sessions and usability tests which feed iterative design cycles;
- Participate in collaborative work sessions with all levels of company stakeholders.
Please include CV and either link to or upload your portfolio with your application