When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
US - Chelmsford, MA or US - California – Carlsbad
How will you make an impact?
Will focus on delivering product innovation through compelling user experience and creative designs, this role will be part of an exciting new area responsible for developing and delivering rich experiences for our customers.
Will work across the entire UX lifecycle including UX research, UX strategy, UX design (UX/UI/visual) and UX optimization. From brainstorming to implementation, will work cross-functionally with software engineers, product management, brand marketing, QA and R&D design teams. Have a passion for creating a user experience and design strategy that is simple, elegant, consistent and most important easy to use.
How will you get here?
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree; Equivalent Work experience acceptable in lieu of degree.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- At least 7 years of experience in UX, with the emphasis on design (instead of research or usability evaluations)
- Good visual design skills - ability to lay out a screen in a well-organized way
- Extensive wireframing experience
- Good interactive prototyping skills - clickable prototypes with occasional advanced interactivity
- Experience with projects small and large
- Ability to manage your own project planning and deadlines
- Ability to have healthy relationships with project teams
- Ability to present before large groups (3-15 people)
- Ability to apply existing design patterns
What you must provide if you want to be considered:
- Resume / CV
- Work samples that show how your projects progress from the start to the finish - ideally including rough notes, sketches, etc.
Please submit work samples or link to online portfolio when you apply
Note: Relocation assistance/benefits are not available for this position.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
What will you do?
- Serve as a visual and UX designer on multiple projects, providing initial brainstorming and strategy through front-end implementation of UX design for instruments, desktop, web-based and mobile scientific analysis applications.
- Combine strong concepting skills with creative design & execution.
- Understand and execute on the aspects and steps of the process in building interactive design solutions.
- Visualize, design and conceptualize user experiences. This includes information design hierarchy, process/screen flows, concept sketches, annotated wireframes, interactive prototypes, high fidelity visual mockups and optimized graphics production.
- Clearly communicate design strategy, rationale, and perspective and present design concepts.
- Understand and apply feedback with flexibility.
- Work closely with project leads to meet business expectations and requirements, customer needs and schedule constraints.
- Work interdependently with other team members on key initiatives to ensure that the creative execution maintains a strong, consistent look and feel.
- Transform product-specific designs into design patterns that will enable a consistent user experience across products.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with globally located research, engineering, marketing, product management and other internal organizations.
- Travel up to 10% of the time for project work meetings.
Full benefits effective date of hire.
How to Apply