The Lilly Innovation Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts allows Lilly to explore how next generation therapeutic ecosystems, connected solutions, and data analytics can improve patient health while reducing the clinical, psychosocial and economic burden that is systemic throughout healthcare today. Our team in Cambridge shares a passion for challenging conventional wisdom and creating an environment that embraces prioritizing high-risk, breakthrough concepts. The center provides a start-up environment with large company support. We are located in the core of Massachusetts exploding science and technology cluster, walking distance to some of the best academic and industry innovators in the world. The center has been designed to cultivate collaborative drug, device and technology research across all of Lilly’s therapeutic areas.
Do you have an insatiable interest in learning about patients, healthcare, and where design is going? Do you see a role that allows you the opportunity to translate the patient experience into meaningful concepts? If so, we have the role for you.
Lilly is looking for a collaborative and experienced design professional to expand the User-Centered Design team. Lilly sees Design as a skillset which can have a major impact the patient experience. We value design thinking and practice for the powerful changes it can create.
As an Interaction Designer (IxD) your primary mission will be to work on break-through innovations by synthesizing user needs, commercial requirements and technical boundaries into user-focused and intuitive product concepts, interfaces, platforms for mobile and web. You will contribute to projects producing design deliverables for medical devices and software. You will work with a cross-functional team to deliver high quality design concepts and prototypes that will form later commercialization efforts. You will collaborate with your interaction, visual communications and industrial design peers to evangelize the strategic use of design within Lilly. Other responsibilities of this role include:
- Act as a subject matter expert on interaction design and user experience while providing strategic direction for innovation projects.
- Develop individual design requirements and translate them into prototypes with the ability easily step back to see the broader impact of a design within a platform or business unit as well as the relationship of that design to the strategic direction of the company.
- Lead others through alignment toward a clear vision, articulating the value of user-centered design and the end product to the business and to our stakeholders.
- Engage cross functional team members and demonstrate that their diverse perspectives are valued feedback and recognize the necessity of working together to shape the right user experience.
- A drive to get things done; working to find opportunities to work smarter and drive organizational improvement, while organizing, planning, and delivering high quality, thoughtful designs.
- Excellent communication (visual, verbal, written and presentation) skills that take stakeholders along through the design process.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Lilly credits its exceptional employees for its successes and knows the key to ongoing achievement lies in attracting and retaining the best people. Here are a few of the recognitions Lilly has earned for creating an outstanding work environment:
- Business Week magazine 50 Best Places to Launch a Career
- Black Enterprise 2018 list of 50 Best Companies for Diversity
- FORTUNE 50 Best Companies for Minorities
- Human Right Campaign Corporate Equality Index - 100% score
- Location is the Cambridge Innovation Center-Cambridge, MA
- US and OUS travel, usually 10-15% but up to ~30% at times.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
- A bachelor’s degree in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Visual Communication Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design or a related field
- 3 years of IxD or UX design experience outside of an educational setting
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Expert level experience using Sketch app
- Expert level prototyping capabilities (InVision, Framer, AxureRP)
- Extensive experience in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience in motion graphics is valuable but not required.
- A portfolio demonstrating successful use of design to deliver compelling user experiences for mobile and web.
- An eye for detail
- Ability to handle change/demonstrate intellectual agility
- Experience leading vendors for successful delivery of project deliverables
- Experience designing for the healthcare industry