3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead Interaction Designer for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
The person hired for the position of Lead Interaction Designer will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and workflows in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Care Business Group.Responsible for overall leadership and coaching of internal and external clients through design direction, improvement initiatives, design-research, and operating plans for design creation. Independently manages and leads multiple major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within the assigned business or function. Manages external design agency resources, build relationships, resolves issues, etc.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, user experience design, digital media design, graphic design or industrial design
Minimum of five (5) combined years of working experience in user experience design and/or interaction design with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and mobile applications on a variety of platforms.
- M.S. in design strategy, interaction design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 7-10 years of experience as an interaction designer.
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting).
- Experience in Adobe Experience Design and/or Sketch.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
- Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Lead Interaction Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Handle design projects of strategic scope and complexity.
- Coaches business partners on strategic and complex projects, through the design process from initial strategy towards final implementation.
- Leads and facilitates UX design workshops with stakeholders, builds interactive prototypes, and conducts concept testing/usability testing and produces reports.
- Accountable for defining experience design definition and key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, simulations and etc.
- Proactively and creatively leads product or service (re)design initiatives.
- Independently leads major new projects in parallel, organizes and manages assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M’s reputation and brand strategy.
- Has a considerable impact on the direct work group/team, providing coaching and leadership.
- Translate customer insights into tangible design deliverable. Thinks beyond boundries to create design direction.
- Develops and maintains detailed user interface specifications.
- Develops and/or uses appropriate UX design and evaluation processes, judgement models, and/or efficiency and cost measurements to ensure the any design solution meets or exceeds defined needs and strategies.
- Provides design direction, guidance, training, instruction and/or mentoring and coaching to others in Design organization as well as other personnel on design related issues and competencies. May be assigned leadership responsibilities for tasks and/or people on an organizational basis.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.