3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a UX Design Research Lead for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of UX Design Research Lead will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Care Business Group. Responsible for leading and supporting on overall strategy and solution definition to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems. Contribute to UX vision, lead research, communicate vision through tangible artifacts such as storyboards, movies, prototypes for concept development. Independently leads major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within assigned business and function.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Anthropology, Psychology, Design Research, Design Management, UX Design or Design.
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, researcher, and/or UX strategist with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and mobile applications on variety platforms.
- M.S. in Design Strategy, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience as UX practitioner (e.g. UX strategist, researcher, UX designer, interactions designer)
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Proficient with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., ethnographic research, contextual inquiry, concept testing, usability testing, card sorting)
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
UX Design Research Lead primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Drive UX strategies and approaches that balance business objectives with customer needs.
- Develop content architecture from initial business strategy.
- Accountable for defining UX vision and create digital content strategy for content rich applications.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews, competitive analysis, content audits to assist with defining business and functional requirements.
- Lead and facilitate user research and usability testing and deliver strategic recommendations with confidence.
- Demonstrate experience using interactive prototypes, storyboards, movies and other artifacts.
- Develop and maintain detailed content guidelines.
- Establishes and cultivates extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Supports to build design knowledge by participating in divisional activities through interactions with outside technical or design organizations.
- Supports multiple projects in parallel; organize and manage assignments in a dynamic, diverse environment.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding effective and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Handle design projects of strategic scope and complexity.
- Identify, partner, and creatively manage external design resources during project collaborations.
- Independently leads major new projects in parallel, organizes and manages assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M’s reputation and brand strategy.
- Has a considerable impact on the direct work group/team, providing coaching and leadership. Decisions may affect the organizational effectiveness of multiple work groups or teams, important programs in the department, the next higher organizational tier, and/or related activities within the direct functional area.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25-40%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.