User Experience Researcher
(1 Full-Time Position in Northampton, MA or Rockville, MD)
This Is Us
CommunicateHealth is a mission-based consulting company that helps public and private sector organizations simplify health information. We design health care services, personal health tools, public health and emergency communications, and innovative interactive media. We employ a talented team of plain language writers, communication researchers, designers, developers, and usability specialists dedicated to creating health information and services that are attractive and easy to use. We're committed to making a difference in the world and in the lives of our employees. Check us out at www.communicatehealth.com.
This Is You
We are looking for a user experience geek with a strong interest in health communication and designing for behavior change. You have conducted in-person and remote usability studies with diverse audiences. You are an experienced moderator who is passionate about the user-centered design process. You are able to evaluate a variety of products - from full websites to web widgets to mobile apps. You excel at translating usability research findings into meaningful content strategy and product development recommendations. You enjoy working independently and collaboratively, have experience giving and receiving feedback, and have outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail. You are passionate about making health information easier to understand and use.
- Degree in a related field such as communication, human-computer interaction, information design, or other related social science
- Minimum 3-5 years' relevant professional experience
- Experience conducting usability research with diverse audiences, including moderating and creating recommendations
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a usability researcher task lead role, with an ability to establish and document processes
- Experience providing high-level editing and writing with limited supervision
- Experience working with writers, graphic designers, and web developers
- Experience drafting and finalizing client-facing reports and deliverables
- Familiarity with best practices in usability and UX design
- Ability to "think on your feet" and come up with creative and appropriate solutions
- Ability to work well in teams with other highly-qualified professionals in a relaxed, culturally-diverse environment
- Masters degree in a related field such as communication or human-computer interaction, information design, or other related social science
- Experience evaluating content and tools in the healthcare or public health sector
- Familiarity with federal plain language guidelines, and Section 508 compliance
- Familiarity with IRB, Office of Management and Budget Paperwork Reduction Act, and nuances of the federal research clearance processes
- Experience developing products for audiences with limited (health) literacy skills
- Support public health and health care organizations in developing easy-to-use digital products
- Keep project teams and clients focused on advocating for users and their goals
- Define product requirements and specifications and adjust as necessary based on client feedback and user research findings and recommendations
- Develop research protocols including screeners and moderator's guides
- Coordinate recruitment and testing logistics, particularly for remote and field-testing activities
- Conduct usability research with consumers and professionals, including usability testing, card sorting, prototype testing, etc.
- Stay current on UX and usability best practices
- Perform heuristic reviews of digital products based on established usability best practices
- Conduct website analytics analysis and make specific recommendations based on findings
- Integrate user research findings into product development
- Write clear, concise reports (from top-level summaries to detailed technical reports) for delivery to clients
- Work with designers and writers on information architecture, user interaction, and content strategy recommendations
This is a full-time salaried position. We offer highly competitive salaries and full benefits.
CommunicateHealth is committed to workplace diversity and providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees.
As federal contractors, we are required to ask applicants to submit a voluntary Demographics form, at www.communicatehealth.com/company/contact/. No personnel selections are made based on this information.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by March 2, 2018.