At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead UX Designer (Information Architect) for our Safety and Graphics Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
The person hired for the position of Lead UX Designer (Information Architect) will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs in support of programs of major importance across the Safety and Graphics Business Group. Responsible for leading and supporting on overall strategy and solution definition to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems. Sets design direction for our platform, system’s structure using an object-oriented approach to content and functionality. Then extend it into an expressed navigational and task flow oriented system informed by user needs and business goals. Independently leads major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within assigned business and function.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, design, graphic design, industrial design, design research or psychology
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, and/or information architect with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web and mobile applications on variety platforms
- M.S. in Interaction Design, Computer Science, Information Design, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 7-10 years of experience as UX practitioner (e.g. UX Architect, Information Architect, UX Designer, Interactions Designer)
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android
- In-depth understanding of key principles of cognitive psychology, interaction design and information architecture
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs
Lead UX Designer (Information Architect) primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Sets the design direction for our platform and ensure that our platform elements bridge the familiar to the innovative.
- Establishes design principles and patterns for platform widgets and logical flows in partnership with Product Design.
- Coaches internal and external clients through the design process from initial strategy (design briefs), to robust planning and development (design development and design research), to design analysis through to final implementation (product design architecture and brand tool box/identity guidelines).
- Develops information architecture, data models, task flows, and hierarchical sitemaps.
- Collaborates with business partners, data scientists and engineers to identify feature inventory that captures possibilities explored in the context of the project.
- Creates UI flows and taxonomies for applications and information.
- Conducts stakeholder interviews, competitive analysis, content audits to assist with defining business and functional requirements.
- Leads and facilitate user research and usability testing and deliver strategic recommendations with confidence.
- Creates prototypes of varying fidelities based on the needs of given design problems (i.e. interactive prototype for usability testing and movies for communicating the UX design direction)
- Conducts usability testing and heuristic evaluations.
- Establishes and cultivates extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Supports multiple projects in parallel; organize and manage assignments in a dynamic, diverse environment.
- Has a considerable impact on the direct work group/team, providing coaching and leadership. Decisions may affect the organizational effectiveness of multiple work groups or teams, important programs in the department, the next higher organizational tier, and/or related activities within the direct functional area.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 40%
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.