Do you want to shape the next generation of Web/UI/UX designers? Make an impact with your work by being part of a program that prepares students to be skilled visual communicators and empathetic global citizens? Would you like to work where you matter? Join us at Vancouver Island University.
VIU is an amazing place of opportunity and we are currently looking for a Web/UI/UX Design specialist to join our expanding Graphic Design Department in a part-time, permanent instructional role. This half-time position is in the form of two classes per term, two terms per year and allows you to maintain your own practice.
This opportunity suits you if you want to help build a new Web/UI/UX curriculum from the ground up. As our Web/UI/UX Design Prof, you will help develop a new set of courses in web and mobile design, interface design, and user experience design; you will work with other faculty members to teach these courses; and you will update these courses as needed to ensure our students are getting training in up-to-date skill skills.
As our Web/UX/UI Professor, you will be able to balance teaching theoretical design learning and pragmatic, hands-on industry skills. You will possesses both creative and technical aptitude, and demonstrate the ability to work well as a member of our team.
Our Web/UX/UI Professor may have a Master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution, although an exception may be considered if you have a Bachelor's degree and very significant, highly-regarded industry experience recognized by industry or your peers.
You will demonstrate a thorough understanding of the professional skills required for web and interaction design including:
- HTML, CSS and JS
- development frameworks and media management
- user interface and user experience design
- prototyping tools
And you will also possess:
- practical experience in web/UI/UX design, and will
- skills in studio work related to the profession
- proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite as it applies to this field, as well as the Mac operating system
- a solid grasp of current best-practices in web/mobile/ui/ux design
- a solid grasp of the appropriate software (InVision, Sketch, Adobe UX, etc.) and of the fundamentals of HTML, CSS and JS
- practical work experience
Situated on Mid-Vancouver Island, with spectacular views of BC's coastal mountains, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with 17,000 students across four locations and 2,300 faculty and staff. VIU offers a wide range of credentials, from academic undergraduate and master's to industry-responsive trades and vocational programs.
Why Choose to Work at VIU:
- A valuable total reward package, including a comprehensive health and dental benefits
- A desirable pension plan
- Competitive compensation package
- Supported professional development opportunities
- Wellness services and opportunities
- Paid break at the end of December
- A professional environment where people are valued
- Be the envy of the rest of the country as you enjoy the pace and quality of life on Vancouver Island
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.