3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Lead Interaction Designer for our Industrial and Safety and Graphics Business Groups to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), interaction design, design, graphic design, industrial design, or design research from an accredited university
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of working experience in user experience design or interaction design with focus on designing solutions for desktop, web and/or mobile applications
- M.S. in design strategy, interaction design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience as an interaction designer.
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Experience with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, card sorting).
- Experience in Adobe Experience Design and/or Sketch.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Lead Interaction Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coach business partners on strategic and complex projects, through the design process from initial strategy towards final implementation.
- Lead and facilitate design thinking workshop with stakeholders, builds interactive prototypes, and conducts concept testing/usability testing and produces reports.
- Accountable for defining experience design definition and key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, simulations and etc.
- Develop visual design languages and systems including layouts, grids, photography, iconography, UI elements and others.
- Proactively and creatively lead product or service (re)design initiatives.
- Identify, partner, and creatively manage external design resources.
- Translate interaction wireframes into visual designs that are visually engaging, simple and intuitive.
- Convey visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts, annotated comps and cut assets.
- Independently lead major new projects in parallel-organizes and prioritizes work accordingly.
- Create world-class user interfaces and visual designs from concept to execution for desktop solutions, web-based products and mobile applications.
- Assume leadership role for building UX pattern library, style guide, and visual design guidelines.
- Develop and maintain detailed user interface specifications.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Develops and/or uses appropriate UX design and evaluation processes, judgement models, and/or efficiency and cost measurements to ensure the any design solution meets or exceeds defined needs and strategies.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 20%
Relocation: Is Authorized
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
3M is an equal opportunity employer. 3M will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: your application may not be considered if you do not provide your education and work history, either by: 1) uploading a resume, or 2) entering the information into the application fields directly.
Please access the linked document by clicking here, select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.