Overview and Description
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a UX Design Research Lead for our Industrial and Safety and Graphics Business Groups to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in St. Paul, MN.
The person hired for the position of UX Design Research Lead will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Industrial and Saftety and Graphics Business Groups. Responsible for leading and supporting on overall strategy and solution definition to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems. Contribute to UX vision, lead research, communicate vision through tangible artifacts such as storyboards, movies, prototypes for concept development. Independently leads major new design programs, redesign programs or continuous improvement projects within assigned business and function.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25-40%
Relocation: Is Authorized
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Human Computer Interaction (HCI), anthropology, psychology, sociology, design or design research from an accredited university
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, researcher or UX strategist with focus on designing solutions for desktop, web and/or mobile applications
- M.S. in design strategy, interaction design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 7-10 years of experience as UX practitioner (e.g. UX strategist, researcher, UX designer, interactions designer)
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Experience in Adobe Experience Design and/or Sketch.
- Proficient with design research techniques to understand the customer (e.g., ethnographic research, contextual inquiry, concept testing, usability testing, card sorting)
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
UX Design Research Lead primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Drive UX strategies and approaches that balance business objectives with customer needs.
- Develop content architecture from initial business strategy.
- Accountable for defining UX vision and create digital content strategy for content rich applications.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews, competitive analysis, content audits to assist with defining business and functional requirements.
- Lead and facilitate user research and usability testing and deliver strategic recommendations with confidence.
- Demonstrate experience using interactive prototypes, storyboards, movies and other artifacts.
- Develop and maintain detailed content guidelines.
- Establish and cultivate extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Support to build design knowledge by participating in divisional activities through interactions with outside technical or design organizations.
- Support multiple projects in parallel; organize and manage assignments in a dynamic, diverse environment.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding effective and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Handle design projects of strategic scope and complexity.
- Identify, partner, and creatively manage external design resources during project collaborations.
- Independently lead major new projects in parallel, organize and manage assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M’s reputation and brand strategy.
- Impact the direct work group/team, provide coaching and leadership. Decisions may affect the organizational effectiveness of multiple work groups and stakeholders including design function, department or management.